Expedition cruises to hidden treasures of the High Arctic
Greenland, the world's largest island, and its surrounding waters are home to an impressive array of wildlife, along with utterly spectacular scenery. 2012 saw the first season of our programme in Greenland (in association with Oceanwide Expeditions) taking in the West coast as well as continuing to offer our East Greenland expedition cruises.
The island has been much in the news with the rapid melting of its ice-cap which until recently took up 90% of the landmass. But there's still a lot of ice giving amazing opportunities to wonder at the surreal colours in the glaciers, the icebergs and the glacial waters meeting the sea. And the scenery is spectacular with big pointy mountains, glaciers calving into the sea, dramatic icebergs and the backdrop of the polar ice-cap (maybe a bit smaller but most definitely still there!). On sunny days the sheltered waters of the fjords reflect the mountains and at night, as summer turns to autumn, the moonlight gives a different and hauntingly beautiful perspective. And in the latter part of the season we'll be looking out for the northern lights as well, whereas high summer gives us 24 hour daylight to enjoy the plethora of wildlife - eight species of whale, two million seals, walruses, polar bears, reindeer, musk oxen, arctic wolves and, of course, a good variety of birds.
And we don't ignore the fascinating heritage of the people of this harsh but beautiful land. Although inhabited by less than 100,000 people, Greenland has its own story to tell of a population of human beings who have over the years adapted to the challenges and changes of this extraordinary land.
2019 Greenland Expedition Cruises
Click on a cruise title or starting price for more information.
|Tour code||Dates||Embark / Disembark||Nights||Starting Price
Click for details
Click to view
|Spitsbergen – NE Greenland (Aurora Borealis)|
|RVR28||06 August||Longyearbyen – Constable Pynt||18||£5,090*|
|Spitsbergen – NE Greenland – Iceland (Aurora Borealis)|
|PLA16||02 September||Longyearbyen – Akureyri||13||£4,780*|
|Scoresbysund (Aurora Borealis)|
|HDS15||17 September||Akureyri – Akureyri||08||£3,305*|
|Greenland 2019 overview & prices|
* Please note that the prices quoted are for cruise only and do not include flights or hotel accommodation. We will arrange your flights and any accommodation but as fares and rates are subject to change, prices are quoted on request. See below for full details of what the price covers.
Single travellers not wishing to pay the extra cost can opt to share in a cabin of their choice – please enquire.
Included in the price
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- Free use of rubber boots and snow shoes on Plancius and Ortelius, and of snow shoes on Rembrandt.
- On Spitsbergen voyages: Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on the group flights to and from Longyearbyen.
- On Northeast Greenland voyages with Ortelius & Plancius: Transfer and baggage handling between ship in Akureyri and hotels in Reykjavik and v.v. by coach (6 hours).
- On Rembrandt voyages: Transfers and baggage handling between airport and ship in Greenland harbours on the chartered group flights.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme.
- AECO fees and governmental taxes.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
Not included in the price
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights.
- Pre- and post- land arrangements.
- Transfers to / from the vessel outside Spitsbergen.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Meals ashore.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- Customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).